Re: TR4 rear shock links

To: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 rear shock links
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:36:42 -0600
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>

>Then, Moss advised they  were only kidding about the links as
>they're out of stock as well! This was as of a few weeks ago, so I don't
>know about current status, but needless to say, I'm less than pleased with
>Moss.

Indeed.

>Haven't tried VB or any of the smaller outfits (shows you how anxious I am
>to rip the rear suspension apart again!).

The car is not going anywhere for a while.  There is still plenty of snow
and salt about.

>If not, just a hammer on the threaded end (after
>threading on the nut to avoid damaging threads).

Standard procedure.  But once I have the new part in hand, this part is
destined for the trash.

>BTW, I had a clunk in the rear end that turned out to be one of my shocks -
>nothing to do with the link.

Good reason to get this link off so I can work the lever.  But the links are
clearly very loose on the top end.  The hole in the bushing is much larger
than the bolt, and the there is a half-inch of play in one of them.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

>Good luck.
>
>Michael Ferguson
>1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
>

>----------
>>From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
>>To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>>Subject: TR4 rear shock links
>>Date: Sun, Feb 11, 2001, 11:41 PM
>>

> replace the entire link.  Is there any
>> reason to favor any particular one of the "big three" suppliers for this
>> part?
>>

>> It seems the more serious problem is that the bolts on the top of the
link
>> are reluctant to part company with the shock-absorber lever.
>>

>> Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
>> 1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
CT2846L