Re: TR4 rear shock links

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 rear shock links
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:29:56 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
-----Original Message-----
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Cc: [unknown] <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, February 12, 2001 7:48 AM
Subject: TR4 rear shock links

>Message text written by "Phil Ethier"
>>Gas tank:  No signs of leaking at the fuel line.  The only remaining
>suspect
>>on the fuel smell in the rear of the car is the gauge-sender gasket, so
>>that's a final.  I will get several of the gaskets and see how many I can
>>destroy trying to install one without removing the tank from the car.
>
>If the TR4 is similar to the TR6 (and I think in this aspect it is) I would
>recommend biting the bullet and pulling the fuel filler tube, and removing
>the upper four bolts.  Then loosen the bottom two bolts and tip the tank
>forward  (rearward) until you have direct access to the fuel sender.  In
>this manner you avoid disconnecting the fuel line (by far the worst part of
>tank removal) but you enjoy the benefit of using a straight screwdriver
>instead of one of those (PITA) right angle screwdrivers (especially if the
>screws are frozen or the heads are stripped out).

I'll consider it.  I have successfully removed and replaced the screws with
my Craftsman right-angle screwdriver (don't know where to buy the "PITA"
ones).  None of them was frozen or stripped.  The problem was the gasket was
dry and cracked.  I will try slipping the gasket football-style over the
sender.  If that does not work, I will have to tilt the tank so I can
withdraw the sender completely from the tank to place the gasket.

>The only way I have been able to disconnect the shock link from the shock
>arm is to remove the two pieces from the car, clamp the shock arm in a vice
>and hammer the link out of the arm.

How difficult is it to get the lever off of the shock?

>Some antisieze on the taper pins will make the job easier next time.

Oh, my, yes.  The stuff is wonderful.  I use it to be nice to me or any
future mechanic.

>And I replaced the shock bolts with some hardware store variety grade 8
>socket head cap screws and grade 8 nuts for the same reason.

Don't understand this part.  What bolts?

>Dave (Just did this on the TR3) Massey
>St. Louis, MO USA

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.