Re: TR4 rear shock links

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 rear shock links
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:38:44 -0600
Listers,
        I was away from the list for a few days and missed the link talk.
        I scanned a lot of messages, and if I may contribute.
        The shock arm has a tapered hole and is meant to be a very tight fit
for
the link taper. Do not lube it. The taper must be held tight so that the
pin works against the rubber it is bonded to.
        An old man once taught me a trick about removing taper pins like links
and
tie rod ends that eliminates the need for pickle fork or press. If you can
support the other end of the shock arm (in this case) and smack the hole
end of the shock arm along the axis of the arm, the hole is momentarily
oblonged allowing the pin to drop out. Honest, it falls out. You can also
use 2 hammers, 1 on one side of the hole and whack the other. Works great.
Use it on tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. and you'll never need new boots.
        I hope that's clear. Try it at home. Let me know if you need further
description.
        Good luck.
        Peter