Re: Ebay policy question

To: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Ebay policy question
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:04:10 -0500
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave-
Bidding at the last minute is allowed of course- I have been annoyed when
slammed in the last sixty(sometimes thirty) seconds of an auction. However,
as it is legal, and well within the spirit of the auction, the previous
bidder was in bad taste to comment. He should have been prepared(as I
usually am when I must have the item) to either have a proxy bid high enough
to meet all comers, or watch every second the final bidding, as well as do a
last minute high proxy if they feel necessary.

There are people who slam as their way of bidding- there is one guy named
"whodat" or something similar, who routinely slams all his bids, giving no
chance for competition. These people are usually considered jerks. If you
only bid at the last minute cause thats when you got there, then there's no
real issue. I usually wait until the last day to bid anymore- saves the
price going way up.

Anyway, you may want to look over the bid history, and see how high the
other guy's proxy bid had been- if it was right at the asking price, drop
him a kind note, apologize for last minute bidding, but explain how the game
works. Maybe he doesn't understand proxy bidding.

Have fun- you weren't wrong, and he showed poor manners. He needs to learn
about the way the auctions run.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]