RE: More TR 250 Questions

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More TR 250 Questions
From: Brian Ruess <brian.ruess@merant.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:02:34 -0800
OK, now I think I have a new problem and wonder if it explains it all (or
not).  I found what I assume is the pressure sender.  It only has one wire
(white with a black trace).  I then found what I assume is the brake sender
-- an "H"-shaped unit that should be able to measure pressure differences
across it.  It has no sender but a very suspicious looking plug.  And there
is a white wire with a black trace right there that is connected to nothing.

So, I need a new brake sender (I assume the usual sources have it for not
too much).  But will this make a difference?  It seems to me it will not,
that all this has done is rendered the switch an oil-pressure-indicator-only
switch.  I'll switch the other sender too and if the problem persists, I
guess I have to test that gauge.

Next question: Just how is the top supposed to fold?  I have owned mostly
roadsters and this convertible stuff confuses me.  If I zip out the rear
window, does it go down first or last?  Do I fold the side windows on top or
underneath?  Do I fold the top with the bow (sticks) or on top of them?  I
cannot seem to get the top to stow very far down and it does not look right
at all.

Thanks.

Brian Ruess

David Massey wrote :
> <a nice explanation of oil/brake warning lights on a TR>
>  So either your oil pressure
> switch is switching at too high a pressure (these things should switch in
> the 5 - 10 PSI range) or your gauge is reading high.

Randall Young added:
A third possibility : the oil pressure switch is wired wrong.  Later cars
used a 3-connection switch whose wiring is not obvious.  If your car has had
one of these fitted as a replacement, that could be the problem.