OD - A-Type - Sealing Big Brass Cap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD - A-Type - Sealing Big Brass Cap
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:44:46 -0500
Listers,

True to form my my newly reborn A-type is leaking oil right on top of my
"workmate" stand... before it even gets into the car.

It is leaking from the big round brass cap that screws into the bottom
strainer cavity.  I have a new gasket installed but these are fiber based and
very hard.

I could try to tighten the cap with one of those big pipe wrenches... buthis
seems hopeless. Or I could seal up the thing with Permatex "Ultra Blue"
form-a-gasket.  This worked great on the clutch ring.  But assume I will want
to open this up for inspection sometime in the future and don't want to gum it
all up.

What is the best way to handle this.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com