Re: OD - A-Type - Sealing Big Brass Cap

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD - A-Type - Sealing Big Brass Cap
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:20:21 EST
Brian,
I have the exact same problem going on right now with a new A-type in my 71
TR-6.
The only difference being that my trans is already in the car an leaking all
over the floor.  Misery loves company.  At first I was convinced that the
brass plug was no good so I installed a new one.  NO luck still leaking
profusely.  Upon closer examination I noticed little streams of Red Line MTL
running down from the OD adaptor plate gasket on to the plug making it look
like the plug was leaking.  I hope you dont have the same problem.  In
addition to this I have a secondary leak coming out of the operating shaft
hole.  At first I thought oh-no problem just a bad o-ring. Wrong!  After
installing a new o-ring still substancial fluid loss.  This turns out to be
an inferior replacement solenoid mounting plate I paid $80 bucks for.  It
seems that the countersunk hole on the backside where the o-ring sits is too
large not allowing it to seal properly. Listers beware these plates are no
good.  Do any of you guys know of any Captain Marvels Magic OD Transmission
Sealer!
Whoa-is-Me!
Darrell Floyd
71 TR6 Biggest Leaker