Re: Where and how to buy

Subject: Re: Where and how to buy
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:45:28 -0500
Dale:

I can't imagine any advantage to buying a car from a dealer or from eBay.
Find the individual within a reasonable distance to your home and go drive
the car.

I think -- presuming you live in a larger metro area -- the best bet is your
local newspaper classifieds.  However, there are some other viable forums.
For example, there are a large number of Triumphs that cycle through the
online classifieds at http://www.vtr.org.  There are probably some cars near
you.  Also, if there are some LBC shops near you, check out their in-store
bulletin boards.  Hemmings is also a good source.

As per the kind of car you might like, a later TR6 or Spit is not
necessarily a better candidate for the kind of car you're after.  Once a car
gets over 20 years old, as they all are now, you have to assess each on a
case-by-case basis.  Most people seek out the 71-73 TR6's and Spitfires, but
there are lots of great cars not made in those years.  Off the top of my
head, I'd say you could find a reasonably finished TR6 for $5-7k, and a
similar Spit for $2-4k.   Also, speaking personally, with regard to Spits,
if I could find a Mk1 or 2 that didn't need major bodywork, and had all or
most of its parts, I'd snatch it up in a minute.

Good luck in your search.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6

> Good Afternoon, All,
> After spending several weeks looking around, I have come up with a
question
> concerning the purchase of an older Triumph.  I wanted to try to take
> advantage of the collective wisdom of this list.
> From what I can see there are basically three venues for purchasing and
> older Triumph (or any "collectible" for that matter.)  These are:
>    1. From a private owner - this is generally someone in
>       the "local area."
>    2. From a private owner - can be from Hemmings, eBay, or
>       other similar venues
>    3. From established dealers
>
> My question is, which way to go.  I am looking for a car that is basically
> "restored".  I am not looking for hi scoring concours car... just a car
that
> may need some minimal work to complete.  This is due to time constraints
on
> my part.  Between family and work, I do not have a great deal of free
time.
> However, I am looking for car that can be a daily driver (makes a later
> model TR6 or Spitfire likely.)  It looks like the dealers get some clean
> cars, but the price sure seems higher.  I am nervous about anything off of
> eBay.  Hemmings I do not have enough info to make a fair assessment.
Local