Re: Where and how to buy

To: Dale Neidhammer <dneid@siliconmetrics.com>
Subject: Re: Where and how to buy
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:52:53 -0400
Dale:

In my opinion, it's best to buy your Triumph directly from someone who
has owned it for some time - not someone who bought it a few months ago,
did a cosmetic "restoration" and is trying to turn a quick profit;
there's plenty of those out there. The point here is that it's best to
know as much history about the car as possible.

I would not hesitate to purchase one from a dealer that specializes in
Triumphs. However, I don't feel you'll have as much negotiating room,
but other listers may tell you differently. Besides, I hate salesmen.

Hemmings is a good source because their web site shows the number of
cars available in each state that fit your parameters.  In addition,
while I could be wrong, they tend to be more "upper end" than the basket
cases. By the way, for some reason, Missouri has more used Triumphs -on
average- (TR6s anyway) than any other state in the country. Don't know
why.

There are several people on the list, including myself, who would be
glad to inspect a car on your behalf in the immediate area. If it turns
out to be a good deal, it may be worth the trip for you to take a first
hand look.

I traveled to several states over a few months to find the one I
purchased. I found that most people, intentionally or otherwise, grossly
misrepresented the condition of their car. I hope your experience is
different. Eventually, however, the right one came along and I hope the
same happens in your search.

Good luck.
Bob
Fredericksburg, Va