TR4 - OD Gearbox Install

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 - OD Gearbox Install
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:44:51 -0500
Listers,

Well this morning with the help of listers Roger Colson and Barry
Fox...  I managed to test my OD at higher RPM and install it back
into the car.

I really wanted the reassurance of putting a gauge on the
operating valve port and seeing a solid 450 pounds of pressure.
Cobbling together a gauge was fairly cheap but complicated.  I
bought the gauge and all the "goes-inta" parts for $29.  I bought
it at a local "Parker Fluid Connection" store that normally
services the snow plow and "hydraulic" guys.  I got a liquid
filled 0-600 gauge. You can buy them in 10-12 different ranges up
to 10,000 pounds.  You racing guys would say that 0-1000 probably
made more sense but they were out of that size. I had them make
up a short 6" hose and after much consultation and a few trips to
the hydraulic store... used a "thread converter" that has 1/4 NPT
female on the gauge side and SAE 1/2-20 male on the other end
with an o-ring.  This the standard way to mate into auto SAE
casings.

Roger Colson stopped off early this morning with his beefy 1/2
drill that ran up to 1800 RPM but the chuck slipped at these high
speeds so we settled for running the gearbox in 2nd and 3rd gear
at about 1000 RPM (the drill's low gear setting).

I was considering suicide when we ran up the OD and got a big fat
zero reading.  I checked the gauge with air and it worked...
tried it again... nothing.  After the suicide option seem like a
bad idea we started using our brains and figured we were doing
something wrong.  It turns out that the accumulator pressure
comes in at the top of the operating valve and when the ball is
lifted by the solenoid... is delivered to the pistons through a
passage further down the hole.  The steel ball had to be in to
allow the pressure to build up for the gauge.  So we put the
steel ball from the operating valve stuff back into the hole to
simulate the condition when the operating valve plug is
installed.  With that change made and the gearbox back up to
speed...  in about 3 secs the gauge was climbing to 100 pounds
and rose smoothly to about 460 and the pump pressure relief valve
kicked in for a solid 450.   I was also happy to see that it took
at least 10 mins for the pressure to fall back under 50 pounds
which meant that all the new seals were working fine.

Barry Fox came over as Roger was leaving and we had a good TR
talk session.  Barry and I have helped each other with gearbox
and engine pulls/installs before so we lugged the now heavier
gearbox to the car.  After about 2 hours of grunting and looking
for the right bolts we had it installed.

I want to thank all the guys that helped me with answer and
advice.  I will show that thanks by passing on the favors to
other new guys when ever I can..

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com