Re: Did TR give or get the "Tractor" motor ?

Subject: Re: Did TR give or get the "Tractor" motor ?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:13:48 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, John.Worthy@team.telstra.com
I'm rather amazed that this information says the MF35 was built until
1964 using the Standard Vanguard engine.  None of my ST history books
mentions this, they imply that relations between ST and
Massey-Harris-Ferguson pretty much broke entirely after MHF tried to
take over ST in 1958, and ST sold them the tractor making enterprise in
58/59.  "Triumph Cars" by Langworth and Robson has a quote from Alick
Dick : "Incidentally the loss of our engine contract because of their
Perkins deal meant that we went back and screwed a lot more cash out of
them ..." but unfortunately gives no date.  Massey bought Perkins (a
maker of industrial engines) in August 1958, so it seems they would have
cancelled their contract with ST shortly thereafter.

Does anyone know the details ?  Were the actual engines used transferred
as a lump, or did ST continue to build them for MHF ?

Randall