Re: Did TR give or get the "Tractor" motor ?

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <lrmetz@home.com>
Subject: Re: Did TR give or get the "Tractor" motor ?
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:06:25 +1300
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
This thread regarding the Ferguson TEA20 brings back many memories - I spent
many hours of my youth with my bum firmly planted on the seat of such a
tractor.

It would always start, despite the six volt electrics and was therefore
pressed in to service on frosty mornings when the diesel tractor (at that
stage a Massey Ferguson 65 - Perkins motor) had other ideas. Any city folk
who were asked to start the Fergie always got confused until we showed them
what other uses a gear lever was for - the starter was activated by moving
the gearlever to where most modern cars have fifth gear (ie. opposite
reverse). It was therefore impossible to start the tractor "in gear" which
was a great safety feature. There many equally unsafe features, not least of
which were the brakes - very marginal.

I believe that Harry Ferguson revolutionised the tractor by fitting three
point hydraulics to this model, but the downside of this was that the
(already light) tractor became very light in the nose when any sort of load
was carried out the back - this very nearly lead to my demise when the
tractor effectively lost steering when going along a rather steep hill.
Thankfully I lived to tell the tale...

Now as to the origins of the 4 cylinder wet-sleeve TR engine - I heard that
the original design came from Citrokn (another marque dear to my heart) and
that accounted for why a Ferguson spanner would fit a Ferguson tractor and
nothing else and no other spanner (except one with sliding jaws) could be
used on a Ferguson.

Is this correct?

David Greed
1974 Stag Man O/D