Re: charging "Optima" batteries

To: lmtr4a <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Subject: Re: charging "Optima" batteries
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:06:57 -0400
Cc: List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I believe that Optima batteries are gel cell type. My boat batteries are
also gel cells and they are quite popular on aircraft as well for
several reasons that would be of little interest to this group.

However, the charger on my boat is a three stage charger which meets the
charging requirements of a gel cell battery. If you're interested in the
actual rates of charge, Lou, I'll get the literature and give you the
information, but I recall the first stage is "bulk", which continues
until the battery reaches a certain level of charge, then the charge
rate is reduced until the battery reaches 11 point something +/-
something, and then it goes into a "float" charge. This combination is
"optimal" for this type of lead acid battery.

If I'm correct in saying that the Optima is a gel cell battery, then I
don't recommend that you use an unregulated, one stage charger.

Hope this information helps.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va
'75 TR6

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rmf3860.vcf]