Re: This is more like a test

Subject: Re: This is more like a test
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:55:05 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Lennart broekhof - SunPS ITops RSC4 wrote:

> But I do have a question too though, does the license plate number
> change on your cars ?

In the USA, each state handles car registration (including the license
plate) so it can be different from state to state.  I believe they all
started out issuing a new plate (with a different number) each year, but
now most (if not all) of them only issue a new sticker.  Of course,
there are still several reasons that a new plate can be issued, for
instance if the old one is lost or stolen.  BTW most states use the
yearly registration as a means of collecting taxes, which can get quite
high.

> Do you have certain regulations for making a plate ? or is any
> color and size ok ?

The states issue the plates, it is illegal to supply your own, or modify
the state's plate in any way.  The size and shape of the plate is set by
the federal government, but each state sets the color, background
design, etc.  Some states have a selection of designs available, and you
can even choose your license numbers and letters (if no one else has the
same combination).  All for an extra fee, of course.

> We have strict rules for this,  special to protect people, as in the old
> days you just put the license plates from a similar car on your own and
> would never get the tickets anyway.

This used to be somewhat possible, I even knew people that owned several
cars and moved the same plate to whichever car they were driving.
However, with radios and computers, it's just too easy for any police
officer to check your license number to see if it's been reported
stolen, and to see if it matches the vehicle serial number, which is now
required to be visible from outside the car.

> "We are Sun. Resistance Is Futile."

Ah, taking lessons from the competition, I see <g>

Randall