This is more like a test

To: Lennart broekhof - SunPS ITops RSC4 <lennart.broekhof@sun.com>
Subject: This is more like a test
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:41:56 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Lennart broekhof - SunPS ITops RSC4
>But I do have a question too though, does the license plate number
change on your cars ?
Like in the Netherlands a car gets one number that stays on it for
ever, so you can also see in what year the car got it.
<

As Randall pointed out, license plates are issued by the states and as such
the procedure varies from state to state.  Additionally, in some states,
such as California, the plate stays with the car as long as it is in the
state.  In other words if the car is sold to another in-state resident the
plate goes with it.  From time to time states will redesign the look of the
plate with new designs and colors.  In California there is a preference for
cars with "Blue" plates or plates that were issued at the time the car was
manufactured.  This is a good indication (unless some hanky-panky has taken
place) that the car was first sold in California and has been there since.
(Of course if the owner lived right on the coast it will likely be rusted
anyway.)

In other states, such as Missouri, the plate is issued to the owner and the
owner can transfer this plate to another car.  For instance the tag on my
TR8 was once on a TR6 (that I sold at about the same time).  Also bear in
mind that when renewing plates in Missouri one makes out the check payable
to the Department of Revenue as opposed to the Department of
Transportation.  I think this suggests where their priorities lay.

Hope this helps

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6