CA legislation (DMV stuff) \ Lost Titles...

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: CA legislation (DMV stuff) \ Lost Titles...
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:28:42 -0800 (PST)
I used to have this nice little Montgomery 12 sailboat which I got with an
un-titled trailer.  The trailer was a rusted out piece of junk, but the
wheels spun.

I sold the little boat and the new owner opted wisely to forego the
trailer.

I towed the trailer to the waste station to be thrown in with the
'white metal' recycling, and I hit a snag.

I was told I'd have to get a certificate of destruction and title from the
DMV to bring it in there.

So I call the DMV and them them my dilema.  Here was the procedure they
offered:

1) Bring trailer to California Highway Patrol for inspection and to have a
serial number issued and stamped on the frame. ( For a fee of course )

2) Bring documentation from CHP to DMV, and have trailer titled.

3) Have said newly issued title marked as destroyed.

4) Tow trailer with documentation to transfer station and exchange paper
work, more fees, etc.

Uh-hunh.

I went home and practiced a bit of civil disobediance that afternoon and
reduced the trailer to bits and pieces which fit into the back of the
truck and found its new home in the steel scrap finally.

As an aside, I believe the state of Alabama is unique in the union in that
their DMV is more permissive with lost titles than anywhere else. If you
are faced with the issue of having a restorable car with no title, there
are a number of lost title services in Alabama that will title a car for
you there, and then you can transfer the title to whatever state you're
in.

-jeffrey