Re: CA legislation (DMV stuff) \ Lost Titles...

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Subject: Re: CA legislation (DMV stuff) \ Lost Titles...
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:31:08 -0600
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"Jeffrey J. Barteet" wrote:

> I used to have this nice little Montgomery 12 sailboat which I got with an
> un-titled trailer.  The trailer was a rusted out piece of junk, but the
> wheels spun............
>
> I sold the little boat and the new owner opted wisely to forego the
> trailer.
> Uh-hunh................
>
> I went home and practiced a bit of civil disobediance that afternoon and
> reduced the trailer to bits and pieces which fit into the back of the
> truck and found its new home in the steel scrap finally.
> -jeffrey

I can relate to that. When we wrecked our TR4 race car in 2000, I took the
useable parts (not many) off and hauled the rest to the junk yard. I had a title
and I knew I had to present it to him.

The junk yard guy looked at the title and said "I've never seen a serial number
like this. What's its VIN?" I explained to him that this was a 40 year old car,
no VIN, the number plate and title matched, and it was junk.

He said, "You can't imagine what kind of grief I will go through when the
Department of Motor Vehicle inspector finds this. Tell you what, drop that thing
right over there and it won't be here more than five minutes."

He was a man after my own heart -- common sense reigns over buracracy. Except
when it comes to speeding tickets.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue