Front leaf spring bolt removal.

To: "Dan Buettner" <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>, "Patrick Caswell" <tr4u@earthlink.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front leaf spring bolt removal.
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:34:49 -0500
Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Patrick Caswell <tr4u@earthlink.net wrote

> >Has anyone had the opportunity to remove the front spring eye bolt for =
> >replacement? I have a set of Stainless Replacement bolts. but would like
=
> >any advice before I go out and start hammering the old bolts out. I have
=
> >soaked them down with PB Blaster.
> >1964 TR4
> >CT39227 L

Between 1987 and 1990 when I was doing the full restoration (80,000 miles)
of my TR3A, I couldn't get them out.  No problem.  The car was in 15,000
pieces, so the original springs went back on the bare frame with no problem.

In 2000, after 7000 miles to Portland Oregon and back I was 7 miles from
home and one of the rear springs broke.  I limped home the last 7 miles and
to change the springs, I loosened all the bolts holding the tub to the frame
and lifted the rear end of the body up enough (2 to 3") to slip off the old
springs (125,000 miles on the car) and slide on the new ones, lowered the
body and retightened all the bolts to the frame.  Job done.  In 2001 (10,067
miles) they were fine.

Max Jaffe, an original TR3A owner, from Pacific Palisades, TRSC, So. Cal.
got a good quality turnbuckle and with two loops welded to the heads of the
proper bolts and a length of cable, tightened the turnbuckle in the middle
till both the bolts got "winched" out towards the center after using a lot
of penetrating oil.  I tried this too but it wouldn't work in my case.

Don Elliott, Original Owner 1958 TR3A TS 27489 LO
Montreal, Canada