RE: speeding tickets (A non-LBC rant)

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Geo Hahn" <geohahn@theriver.com>
Subject: RE: speeding tickets (A non-LBC rant)
From: "Ken Gano" <kgano@co.effingham.il.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:17:26 -0600
Cc: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Be aware, at least in Illinois, there are two, potentially different,
"driving abstracts."  The ordinary one is "court purposes" which lists only
convictions and the other is "Internal" which is suppose to be internal to
the Secretary of State's office and it lists all "dispositions" including
court supervision (our version of traffic school), tickets dismissed
pursuant to plea agreements and DUI reduced to reckless.  I doubt insurance
companies are able to get internal abstracts, (and without a crib sheet they
are virtually impossible to read) but they can come back to haunt you years
later in administrative hearings before the secretary of state (particularly
DUI reinstatement).  Just 'cause the ticket went away does not necessarily
mean the stop never happened.  So much for the presumption of innocence!

Ken Gano
(recently "retired" formal hearings officer)