TR3 Engine Head Removal

Subject: TR3 Engine Head Removal
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:50:42 -0500
I am having difficulty removing the head of the engine on the
'59 TR3 restoration.  The engine is currently on a 3 leg stand,
have removed the rocker, push rods and bolts.  I can't get the
seal to release.

Will I be in trouble if I use a rubber dead blow mallet to "wack"
the head to get it to release?  Should I take the engine off the
stand so as to get better leverage with the engine on the ground?
Since I plan to have the head and block cleaned and checked out at
a local shop, should I let them do the dirty work?

On another note, the Harrsiburg, PA New Auto and Boat Show is all
next week at the Farm Show Complex.  The Central PA Triumph Club will
have a booth with 3 of our members' TRs there.  I will be at
the booth most all of the day on Friday, so if anyone is planning on
attending, stop by.

Your thoughts are always welcome.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA