Re: TR3 Engine Head Removal

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Engine Head Removal
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:54:17 FILETIME=[4A4583F0:01C19E95]
>From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
>Subject: TR3 Engine Head Removal
>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:50:42 -0500
>
>I am having difficulty removing the head of the engine on the
>'59 TR3 restoration.  The engine is currently on a 3 leg stand,
>have removed the rocker, push rods and bolts.  I can't get the
>seal to release.
>
>Will I be in trouble if I use a rubber dead blow mallet to "wack"
>the head to get it to release?

  I don't think so... You may want to squirt some penetrating oil down
  the stud shafts and tap on them lightly to try and free any rust or
  crud that may have accumulated down the bores. Then use the BIG
  SCREWDRIVER between the head and the top of the block to gently wedge
  the two apart. what you want to do here is just get them sepatated.
  Work around the head in a number of locations.

  I may be wrong here, but I think its kind of hard to warp a Standard
  TR head this way. I've removed the head on my `4 at least 4 times in
  the past 17 years and pulled the head on a TR engined Mog once. It's
  a lot of dead weight that doesn't like to move. I've used dowels and
  blocks of wood to keep the head from sliding back down once I got it
  free.

  The best time I had was the last head removal. I stood in the engine
  bay with a foot on either side behind the wheel well and lifed the
  head straight off. I had a hospital bedside table on wheels that was
  modified with an old drawing board to put it on.

Should I take the engine off the
>stand so as to get better leverage with the engine on the ground?

  I'd want someone to keep an eye on the stand so it doesn't tip over.
  At least you don't have to reach over the fender.

Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)