Re: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?

To: "bob" <rmf3860@erols.com>, "six pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:17:23 -0600
From: "bob" <rmf3860@erols.com>
To: "six pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>; <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:15 PM
Subject: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?

> Listers:
>
> I recently received outrageous quotes from Whitepost and Apple
> Hydraulics for rebuilding my TR6 master brake cylinder and boost servo.
> The prices significantly exceeded the cost of buying brand new!! What's
> more, they could care less; that was their price.
>
> In addition to your comments on this situation, what has been the
> group's success in buying the rebuild kit for each of these components
> and just doing it yourself?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Bob Fabie
> '75 TR6

Bob-
    I believe White Post and Apple re-sleeve the master cylinder when
rebuilding. This makes the MC "better than new" . For my money, I ordered a
new one from British Parts Northwest (NFI) and bolted it in. I tried
rebuilding my existing MC (twice) and continued having the perverbial seep
ruining the paint. I have had no problems since installing the new one. I
cannot speak for the booster rebuild/new issue as I am running my original
(I think) booster in the 6.

Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
80 TR7 Spider