Re: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?

To: hakhutch@megalink.net.rmf3860@erols.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?
From: AVALON2455@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:07:47 EST
Isn't that leaky break fluid a real paint "Exterminator"???

My solution to all these problems.......when you rebuild your break system,
even just one part........put in a new master, new slaves (when one's bad,
they are most likely all to be bad because of the water and rust, and if they
aren't bad now, they soon will be)......flush all lines thoroughly with wood
alcohol, (like your wife burns in her chafing dish......and if you're sneaky
you can use her turkey baster to squirt it through....it won't hurt it) and
then fill the whole thing with silicone brake fluid....yeah it's $5-6 a pint,
but it doesn't take all that much........doesn't attract water, which is what
causes most cylinder problems.......and if it leaks.....it won't hurt paint.
 I bit the  bullet 7 years ago........nary a problem since......now if I can
just steel myself to do my wife's old Jag.....I know....it's just sitting
there getting gunkier and gunkier!  I guess the other way is to wash out and
flush the whole system with regular brake fluid, every year........but,
still, if it leaks in the wrong place.......bye, bye paint.

Clark  '67 TR4A IRS