'73 TR6 Running Problem

To: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: '73 TR6 Running Problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:35:24 -0500
Cc: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id gA4Dca6D015249
Message text written by suhring
>A friend of mine is having some difficulty with his TR6 which I
have been helping him diagnose via email.  I addressed his
question regarding the ballasted coil and I do not believe this
is what is going on. Initially I had him run through the ignition
system and he found that two of the wires were bad.  This correct
most of his problems that he originally presented (also replaced
points, plugs and coil and appear to be set up correctly). Before
I continue to pursue some other directions I thought it might be
helpful (to me) to seek some other thoughts from the list.
<snip>
> The car starts and idles well, in fact it will idle strongly for hours if
> let it. But when I drive it, sometimes only 1/2 mile or so, it begins to
> run roughly, almost like some cylinders aren't firing. If I let it rest,
> start it up and do the same thing, the same thing happens.

<snip>

Scott, the symptoms sound characteristic of fuel starvation.  When idling
the fuel pump can keep up with the fuel demands but under way the fuel in
the float bowl gets depleted and then the engine stops working properly.
Check for a restriction in the fuel lines, either a clogged filter, debris
in the line, or a bad valve in the pump.

Dave