Re: Plumber continued ===NON LBC=====

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Plumber continued ===NON LBC=====
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:56:26 -1000 (HST)
Sorry for the OT, but I am really concerned that termite problem
not be minimized.  No financial interest in any termite
biz, just a home owner in termite land (Hawaii).

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:26:41 -0700, Lumia, John wrote:

>Fred, I share your pain brother.  I also question the need for the
pest control guy, the key is that any wet wood will attract termites
and carpenter ants faster than you can say "Orkin Man".  Its too late
for the pest control guy, and you may be able to spray the right
preventive stuff around your foundation just as easy as the Orkin
man, with the appropriate precautions of course.  John

Can't agree on this.  Probably need to tent the house
and kill everything in the walls, if there is ongoing
infestation.  There are dry wood
termites (the ones you see swarming around at certain
times of the year) and ground termites.  The ground
termites are the ones to fear.  Since the Feds outlawed
chlordane about 8 years ago, it is difficult to get an
effective treatment.  I don't think there is anything
labeled for "civilian" use that will do anything on ground
termites.  The most popular prevention here is a system
where they bore holes into the ground a put a hunk of
wood in.  Periodically they check it and if there is
evidence of termite they have a poison that will get back
to the queen.

If studs and/or plates in load bearing walls are gone through,
you probably need to do something to provide new
support.

As far as the toilet is concerned, if it is at all old, it probably
was the big tank, and they can't legally sell you one any more.
The 1.6 gpf tank won't work on the old base, unless you
like to flush 3 times.  A couple years ago I put in a nice
Toto that does the job pretty good for a gravity-only
toilet.  It also is ADA height which I recommend for anyone
except maybe a small child.

scott s.
.