Re: Cylinder Head Shaving

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Shaving
From: "Eduard Tieseler" <etiesele@metrolist.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:27:28 -0800
You probably want to check to see if there is any warpage in the head.  Grab
a straight edge and check from corner to corner.  Also check along the
length and width of the head.  You should not have to shave too much off the
head and you should not have to modify anything else if it a solid lifter
engine, as you can make any adjustments on the rocker arms.  I had similar
work done to my head (porting/polishing, new valve guides and new exhaust
valves, and springs, also it was shaved a little)  What was the previous
condition of the head, was it bolted to the block, or has it been sitting
around?  If it was an assembled engine, chances are you wont need to shave
it, but if has been sitting around for a while you would probably want to
check it far any warpage.  I made the mistake of not checking mine and ended
up with a head gasket leak as I was adding anti-freeze.

Eduard Tieseler
'66 Herald