RE: Cylinder Head Shaving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cylinder Head Shaving
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:54:35 -0800
> I am currently restoring and porting (for the first time) a very
> good used head for my TR3A.
> I am wondering if I should get the head shaved as the surface is
> in usable condition already.
> How much can be shaved without other modifications?
> I am not racing the car, but I think that this is the right time
> to do minor performance enhancements.
> What can go wrong with shaving?
> What's your experience?

Jerry, my suggestion would be to get a copy of the old 'Competition
Preparation' manual written by Kas Kastner.  It has a very good outline of
what to do and how.  And as long as you keep the compression ratio down, the
mods are quite suitable for the street.  ISTR the TR4 version is somewhat
better, and the big 3 should have reprints for under $10.

If you do have the head milled down, watch for interference with the water
pump housing (where the head extends forward for the thermostat housing to
bolt on), and between the bottom of the exhaust manifold and the top of the
block.  The edge of the block casting actually protrudes slightly beyond the
manifold mounting face, and if you shave a significant amount, it may lower
the mounting point far enough to cause a problem.  Just grind a little off
the manifold if it does.

> Also, any comments on replacement valves, guides and springs?

Get the special guides so you can fit TR4A exhaust valves.  I buy almost all
my performance parts from :
Ken Gillanders
British Frame and Engine
4831 N. Ryland Ave
Temple City, CA  91780
(626) 443-0939
BFEKENG@aol.com
(no web site)

Ken is a friend, and a local club member, so I may not be entirely impartial
<g>

TSI is another good source in the states :
TS Imported Automotive
404 Basinger Rd.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Ph. 800/543-6648 (USA/Canada only)
Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
FAX 419/384-3272 - 24 hrs
e-mail: tedtsimx@q1.net
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/

Randall