Cylinder Head Shaving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Head Shaving
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:59:42 -0500
Jerry,
If you still have 83 mm pistons you may not want to mill the head much,
since if you later go up to 87 mm, this alone will take your compression
ratio up to just over 10.
This is probably a good time to get stellite faced exhaust valves, with the
narrower stems as found on TR4s. You will need different guides of course
to accommodate them; there are silicon-bronze or something similar
available now that are supposed to be superior to cast iron - Randall has
suggested sources.
Re the guides - be sure to get the specs on clearances; if you have a shop
press them in and ream them according to typical modern specs they will be
too tight.
Jim Wallace
http://www.geocities.com/wallaces_21/cylinderhead