Re: Was Early TR4 Trunk Handle now Long Bubble Bonnets

To: jerryvv@alltel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was Early TR4 Trunk Handle now Long Bubble Bonnets
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:01:18 EST
Jerry,
Sorry to lead you on with the story about "Short Bubble Fours" spinning out
at speed.  I was just responding to the comment that the "Short Fours" are
faster. Certainly neither is true, but you never know unless we line them up
and check it out. HA HA!

What I have heard on this subject as to the real reason why Triumph modified
the bonnet bubble is that there were problems with the short ones bending at
the ends where the rubber buffers and the latch are located. Extending the
bubble to the end of the bonnet provided more strength and helped solve this
problem.  This information was given to me by a couple of long time early TR4
owners who purchased original cars and were there at the time.  One even said
that Triumph Dealers were replacing some of the short bubble bonnets that
were bent up free of charge with long bubble bonnets.  Now I really do not
know for sure if this story has any validity but it sounds more reasonable.
It may even explain why you see some early Fours with long bubbles.

Interestingly enough this same early TR4 gentleman told me it I ever needed a
tie breaker while judging TR4's to lift up the carpet over the gearbox cover
to see if either car had the original cardboard cover.

Sincerely,
Darrell
62 TR4 CT 5521 LO  (cardboard gearbox cover)