Re: Was Early TR4 Trunk Handle now Long Bubble Bonnets

To: "INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com" <TR250Driver@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Was Early TR4 Trunk Handle now Long Bubble Bonnets
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:48:00 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <jerryvv@alltel.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAAFq1AE018340
Message text written by INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com
>What I have heard on this subject as to the real reason why Triumph
modified
the bonnet bubble is that there were problems with the short ones bending
at
the ends where the rubber buffers and the latch are located. Extending the
bubble to the end of the bonnet provided more strength and helped solve
this
problem.<

I have never heard this.  What I heard (and can confirm from personal
experience) was that the smaller bubbles had interference problems with the
tops of the SU Carbs which would hit the underside of the bonnet leaving
small bumps.  The TR4 I once owned (CT25XX) had these tell-tail bumps
resulting from the carbs hitting the underside while the engine moved about
on its mounts.

Alas, that car met its demise in an altercation with an Oldsmobile 442.

Dave (Broken hearted)