RE: What is this?

To: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>
Subject: RE: What is this?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:47:59 -0500
Cc: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAAFpTAE018294
Message text written by "Jon"
>It looks similar to what this person describes in his TR6 restoration- a
scuttle vent.
http://members.visi.net/~kohout/bodywork.html
from the site: "The factory has the scuttle vent draining directly into the
cavity between the fender and the inner panel. I think this is what caused
most of the damage to the rocker panel and fenders. I am going to install a
longer drain hose and have it extend through this grommet so it drains
under
the car."
<

It is my opinion that most of the water, and by far most of the nasty,
corrosive stuff the causes corrosion, doesn't come from the scuttle vent
but sneaks past the baffle inside the wheel well.  The clean rain water
that comes from the scuttle vent does more to rinse away the corrsoive road
spray and probalby helps reduce rust.  In my opinion.

The most effective way to prevent rust in this area is to put a good coat
of paint on all surfaces before assembling the wing to the car.  Something
the factory did not do.

Dave
71 TR6