Re: TR6 Insulating the Transmission Cover

To: "Trevor Jordan" <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Insulating the Transmission Cover
From: "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:16:07 -0500
Trevor:
I purchased a material commonly used for insulating water heaters and such. It
looks like thick (3/16-1/4 inch) aluminum foil on the outside with an inside
layer of bubble wrap. It's available at Home Depot/Lowe's, etc. It is
inexpensive.

I purchased a new plastic trans cover the my TR6 during a recent restoration
of the engine compartment. I covered the underside with this material using
aluminum tape available in the air conditioning/heating section. I don't
recommend duct tape. Because of the non-symmetrical surface, it will take some
patience to cut the material so it fits well, but the results look
professional and the sound deadening is astounding.

One more comment that might come in handy. Installing the transmission cover
with the hand brake in place is "impossible". I decided to cut a slit to allow
the cover to slide over the hand brake. Once in place, I used the aluminum
tape to seal the small opening. You'll see what I mean when you start trying
to install it. Then again, you may have another method that works.

This insulation material is good stuff and I recommend it for insulating you
floors and vertical portions of your passenger compartment.

Good luck

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6