TR4A IRS rear suspensions questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A IRS rear suspensions questions
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:54:17 -0600
oliver wrote:

> According to my mechanic (who specializes in Triumphs), the poly bushes
are
> not what the car and its components are designed for.  this will
> additionally stress other components.  he swears by the rubber ones.
>
> a friend of mine, who uses a different mechanic, said that replacing the
> rubber bushes on his 76? TR6 made an immediate improvement in handling.

Both those things are true. The OEM rubber bushings will absorb energy and
transmit less stress to other parts of the car and provide a smoother ride
with less apparent "shake" and vibration.

The modern "plastic" bushes (and there are more than one type) will make the
suspension less flexible--better handling at the expense of a harsher ride.
They're also less susceptible to degradation with age and use, which means
they'll last longer than the rubber originals. But be careful which bushes
you choose and how you install them, as they can develop an annoying squeak
otherwise.

Jim Hill
Madison WI