RE: Gearbox Questions

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox Questions
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:37:21 -0800
Hi Noah :

> Ive got a very odd problem- My TR4 has a TR3 transmission in it that is
> failing (PO put the TR3 transmission in)...the transmission pops
> out of 2nd
> (but only on engine braking, not on acceleration)

Likely a broken "top hat" bushing

> ...it also grinds if you
> shift too quickly from 1st to 2nd.

Also broken "top hat"

> What im thinking about doing is having the TR4 tranny rebuilt,
> then swapping
> it in int eh place of the TR3 tranny, obviously keeping the OD on the car,
> then selling the TR3 tranny as a core

I'm sure John explained this, but JIC : The TR4 tranny takes a different
mainshaft than the TR3, you will have to buy an OD mainshaft for it.  Most
likely, John can supply this, but it will be another $150 or so.  ORS in
England can supposedly convert a non-OD mainshaft to OD, but the price is
probably similar by the time you pay shipping both ways.  Likewise, the TR3
tranny will not be complete (although the OD mainshaft is probably worth
more than the rest of the box).

> I have heard John Esposito, of QUantum mechancis recomended- does
> anyone have
> any experience with him?

Sorry, I don't.

> He wants $250 in labor plus $100 in parts for rebuilding the '4
> gearbox...this
> seems reasonable to me- what are your all thoughts?

Seems very reasonable to me.  Don't forget though, that $100 covers only
'normal' parts, bearings, seals and such.  If gears and whatnot are bad, the
price can go up substantially.  Also, ask if rebuilding the top cover and
adding the holes for the isolator switches is included in that price.  FWIW,
you can use the TR3 casting, but it has to have the TR4 shafts and forks
installed in it, they aren't the same.

> Lastly, he points out that since the grinding gearbox shares an oil supply
> with the well running OD, that the OD is probably full of nasty metal bits
> that will eventually eat the clutch and accumulator...therefore,
> while he is
> at it, he suggests rebuilding the OD as well...for this he charges $250 in
> labor and at least $100 in parts, depending...is it true that a
> dying gearbox will take the OD with it as it goes?

Not necessarily, but it's certainly likely.  If the oil has visible
'sparklies', I would definitely tear down the OD, just to clean it if
nothing else.  I recently disassembled a "working when removed" OD tranny,
it was absolutely amazing the carnage I found inside a unit that I driving
before I broke the bellhousing.  Also amazing was the amount of swarf plated
onto the OD parts, particularly under the sprag clutch and behind the
annulus.

Randall