Gearbox Questions

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[67C217A0:01C28AA7]
Subject: Gearbox Questions
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:58:32 -0500
Hey all-

Ive got a very odd problem- My TR4 has a TR3 transmission in it that is
failing (PO put the TR3 transmission in)...the transmission pops out of 2nd
(but only on engine braking, not on acceleration)...it also grinds if you
shift too quickly from 1st to 2nd.  The OD is working great, and beyond the
absence of 1st gear syncro, all else is well with the setup...

I also have a TR4 transmission, non-rebuilt, to swap in...

What im thinking about doing is having the TR4 tranny rebuilt, then swapping
it in int eh place of the TR3 tranny, obviously keeping the OD on the car,
then selling the TR3 tranny as a core

I am confident that I have neither the time, skills, nor tools to do a rebuild
myself...carb fiddling is one thing, gearboxes are another...

I have heard John Esposito, of QUantum mechancis recomended- does anyone have
any experience with him?

He wants $250 in labor plus $100 in parts for rebuilding the '4 gearbox...this
seems reasonable to me- what are your all thoughts?

Lastly, he points out that since the grinding gearbox shares an oil supply
with the well running OD, that the OD is probably full of nasty metal bits
that will eventually eat the clutch and accumulator...therefore, while he is
at it, he suggests rebuilding the OD as well...for this he charges $250 in
labor and at least $100 in parts, depending...is it true that a dying gearbox
will take the OD with it as it goes?

Thougths of experienced folks appreciated...

Noah
Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital + Bain Capital
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199, USA
voice 617.516.2922   fax 617.516.2923
nfreeman@baincap.com or nfreeman@brooksidefund.com

computer.

Bain Capital
(617) 516-2000

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]