TR6 trim rings

Subject: TR6 trim rings
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:27:18 -0500
Once again approaching the fountain of Triumph knowledge...

I have the original trim rings on my 1972 TR6. They are brushed
aluminum/aluminium. Presently the edges are a little knocked up from
touching the curb. I thought that cleaning up the rings would be a nice
project that could fit into the budget. That basically means either fixing
the originals or buying new. However new seems to be available only in
polished stainless.

Actually I don't know whether my TR would look better with polished rings or
not. Is this a nice upgrade, or are people wishing to avoid it but can't? I
have been looking at several sites and some of the old brochures seem to
show a very polished surface. Were polished rings available during
production or is this a recent abomin, er I mean innovation?

If I stick with the original parts (generally like to do so if possible) Is
it possible to polish or beat out the dents and grinds in the original rings
or am I better to live with it? I don't imagine filling in the gouges with
liquid aluminum is a good idea as it will probably cause unbalancing and
vibration at speed.

I'm not a fanatic about concours originality as I have my rims painted gold
behind those rings. (I like it so there!) I just don't want to buy the
polished rings and then discover that they don't look good.

Advice/knowledge/experienced opinion anyone?

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6