Re: dashtops

To: "Roger Elliott" <elliottr@rmi.net>, "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: dashtops
From: "Jeffery Howard" <nhoward442@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:40:09 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Roger,
Before I knew you could get overlays for the dash, my wife and I took the
dash of the Spit out and trimmed the cracks till they were smooth.  Filled
the cracks with silicon caulk.  Then we used contact cement to bonded foam
rubber, about 1/8 inch thick from a craft shop, to the dash.  We then bonded
"naugahide" to that.  The "naugahide" stretched quite well and would take on
the compound curves that are on the dash.

As I worked on fitting the dash back in place I had to trim the extra
material on the front of the dash (side against the windscreen) to make a
good fit.  I had to trim part of the original dash material to get a good
snug fit.  The part I had to trim does not show because the gasket for the
windscreen covers it.

I plan to do the next one the same way.

Jeff Howard
Rayne LA