RE: Recommendations sought: Blast Cabinet

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Triumph Stag Discussion Forum" <stag@digest.net>
Subject: RE: Recommendations sought: Blast Cabinet
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:12:47 -0800
> Dont think 8.5 cfm is enough for blasting.....my comp is 14 cfm and has a
> 200 ltr reciever  (4 gallons I think is only 18.6 litres!!!) and what
> happens is after around two mins blasting on mine the pressure
> goes down too
> 55 psi.
> and I have to wait for it to build up again.

The problem here is that compressors are almost always rated in scfm or
"standard cubic feet per minute"; while tools like a blast gun are usually
rated only in cfm.  The distinction is that scfm is measured after the air
has expanded back to room pressure (and temperature); while the cfm
consumption is measured with the air still compressed.  Since 90psi is
roughly 7 atmospheres, there is a 7:1 difference in these two ways of
measuring flow at 90psi.

Thus, to keep up with a blast gun rated for 4 cfm at 90psi, you need a
compressor rated for 28 scfm @ 90psi.  Of course, many people do as Mark has
suggested, use a smaller compressor to pump up a big tank and then blast
until the tank runs down.

Randall