Re: Recommendations sought: Blast Cabinet

To: cm.sherman@verizon.net
Subject: Re: Recommendations sought: Blast Cabinet
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:08:57 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, stag-digest@digest.net
Hi Corey,

How are things??  You must be into torture.  Do you still have the TR6?

I don't think your compressor is going to cut it, but who knows as I only
use 30 pounds pressure when bead blasting most parts.  Any more and the
dust is too heavy.  I have a Craftsman 6HP, 35 gallon horizontal, 220
volt, oil-less compressor that works just fine for most everything I
need.  It runs the blast cabinet and all of my air tools like impact
wrench, ratchet, cutoff tool, 10K stroke per minute body saw, air drill
etc.

My bench top blasting cabinet is a fairly large model...has the hinge up
lid rather than side entry.  The flourescent light only lasted a few
sessions and I installed new thicker foam strips (window insulation from
Home Depot) for the lid. The plexiglass windows also tend to cloud up
fairly quickly..especially if using higher pressures.  I bought it from
the back of a big station wagon...the guy bought pallets full of
miscellaneous products from ship containers.  Made in China but what
isn't today??  Works pretty good for my needs. I bought this and a bunch
of other stuff from him.  He tried to buy tools only but sometimes ended
up with other things as well like 150 Boogy Bass that were hidden in the
middle of the pallet :-)

Check Nelson's site under "Gift Ideas"
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/index.htm   Be good to yourself, spend a
lot of money on tools and be happy with your purchases :-)

By the way, recycled glass beads are available from many of the stores
that supply paint etc to auto body shops...much cheaper.

Talk later,
Jay

=============

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:36:01 -0500 cm.sherman@verizon.net writes:
> Looking for the List's opinion (again) for a tool recommendation:
> Blast
> Cabinet.
>
> I recently purchased a 1971 Triumph Stag, and dismantling it for a
> ground
> up restoration. The car has been sitting for over 15 years, and many
> of
> the parts need work (i.e., part washer bath, re-plating, or
> re-finishing).
> I figured a "Blast cabinet" would be a good investment, given the
> shear
> number of part requiring attention.
> I own a Porter Cable compressor (2 HP, 4 Gal. Model #CF2400, 8.3
> SCFM @
> 40psi ; 6.1 SCFM @ 90psi).
>
> I searched Harbor Freight

(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=505&pricet