Tub Weight / was frame weight

To: "INTERNET:MJSUKEY@cs.com" <MJSUKEY@cs.com>
Subject: Tub Weight / was frame weight
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:12:14 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h97IGIF9031044
Message text written by INTERNET:MJSUKEY@cs.com
>Since we are searching for weights here does anybody know the weight of a
Triumph tub?  I have a TR4A project that has been stored outside and I am
thinking about building some kind of framework so that I could remove the
tub from the frame and hang them both from the ceiling of my pole barn in
order to get them out of the weather while there is still something left of
them. So, anybody know the tub weight as well as a frame without engine and
trans?
<

In lieu of a correct answer (perhaps someone will respond with the correct
numbers) I can say the the TR6 bodyshell is an easy three man lift.  In
other words, three men can lift it up over the engine and transmission and
set it on the frame.  My guess is somewhere between 200 and 300 lbs.
Without windshield.

And, I've manhandled a TR6 frame (stripped) and would guess the wieght to
be about 200 lbs.  Add in the diff and rear suspension and you would get
350 lbs.  Add another 100 lbs to counter optimism and the frame with the
rear suspension and diff is probalby about 450 lbs.  Or 550 lbs.  Who
knows.

I've hung a TR6 body shell from the rafters of a garage and my advice is
get a good, straight 4X4 and span as many rafters as is practicable.  But
400 lbs is slight compared to the snow load your roof is designed to carry.
 Distribution is critical, though.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6