Re: Originality

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:41:32 EDT
Randall,
I am reminded of an advertisement for the TR3A with the slogan of "Triumph in
Winter."  It depicted a black TR3A going down a ski slope. It looks like a
brand new original one too! I kind of chuckle at the thought of it.  But
evidently some advertising guy thought it would sell them at the time.

You got me on winter driving for I do not drive them in the snow or salty
roads.  I will take them out for a run on a nice winter day but I have a
Durango
to four wheel with.  If one can modify a TR3 to go in the snow I say great
Job!  Whatever floats your boat.

Too be clear I really have no problems with modern modifications if that is
what you want to do with your Triumph.  Too each his own and all that rot.
What gets me going is the comments that original unmolested Triumphs are not
drivable, reliable, enjoyable cars and are carried around on trailers as show
pieces that belong in museums by people who don't know how to have any fun.
That
is just not the case.  I have a friend who has put 3300 miles on a dead nuts
original unrestored 63 TR4 this summer using it daily.  It even has the
original Lodge spark plug wires on it. My cars have collectively driven over
6000
miles this year and I do not drive any of them daily.  I know plenty of guys
who
drive their pristine, restored, original Triumphs long distances to meets and
shows, walk away with awards and drive home.  So I am only supporting those
people who see value in keeping the cars as they were.

Darrell