Originality

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Originality
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:41:20 +0100
I take the view that as the remaining vehicle parc continues to steadily age
and diminish, there will come a time that the cars we currently cherish will
become such rarities that *departures* from original spec will become less and
less important. This is not based on looking into the future - but seeing how
it is now. Many run-of-the-mill cars built pre-WW2 are so rare that while it's
nice to see an example that is *probably* original, no-one worries too much if
it isn't. Triumphs are run-of-the-mill cars that typify an epoch. There's
nothing particularly special about them. The important thing is the damned
thing is still running, being used - and most important of all, being enjoyed.
If the fitting of certain more modern (unoriginal) components ensures this can
happen, is a slavish adherence to originality all that critical? As an
example, our own Veteran Car London to Brighton Run each November sees cars of
amazing antiquity taking part - the youngest I believe not made after 1905?
I'd wager all of them are now using parts (or mods to keep them running) that
were never there when new.
However, if you want your Triumph to appear as if encapsulated in acrylic and
stay in a hermetically sealed time warp, take it everywhere on a trailer and
never drive it in case something breaks or it gets dirty, originality should
be allowed to prevail.

Jonmac