TR3A Master cylinder overhaul

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Master cylinder overhaul
From: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:46:01 -0500
I've pulled the m/c housing out for a winter overhaul as the accumulated
leakage has eaten all the paint and the reservoir looked pretty punky, 2
questions

1) The reservoir is actually in pretty good shape after taking a wire brush
to it, but there's a black sludge in the bottom of it.  Any recommendations
on what cleaner I can use that won't contaminate the brake fluid?  My first
thought would be a WD40 soak then a good spray with brake disk
cleaner/degreaser.

2) Will DOT4 brake fluid eat "clear coat"?   I was going to apply that to
the painted bracket to at least delay the damage of any future leaks.

Thanks,

Art McEwen