RE: TR3A Master cylinder overhaul

Subject: RE: TR3A Master cylinder overhaul
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:55:06 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Your process would still leave residual DOT4 in the slaves,
> you're confident
> there's no overhaul/clean on the slaves required when changing
> from DOT4 to
> 5.  The VTR pages imply that ANY mixing of the 2 types is bad:

Art, as you may know, DOT 5 is one of those perennial "hot topics" that
people cannot seem to agree on (except perhaps to agree to disagree <grin>).
Based on my personal experiences with several vehicles and probably 200,000
miles of operation; there are several things Ken Streeter said on that page
that I don't agree with.

Just one example : I bought a Chevy new in 1980.  The very first time I had
any trouble with the hydraulics (leaking caliper, around 1990 as I recall),
I  rebuilt only the leaking caliper, and switched to DOT 5 by just bleeding
it through the rest of the system.  I finally junked that car last year,
with some 250,000 hard miles on the clock (including towing more than one
Triumph home from another state); and never did have to touch the hydraulics
again.

Had a similar experience with my Dodge motorhome, purchased used around
1985; except that on it I never did get around to rebuilding the leaking
caliper.  The leak slowed dramatically with the DOT 5, to the extent that I
just topped up the MC every 2-3 years.  It likewise never had another
hydraulic problem except for the slow leak.

I've mentioned the gooey mess, some people claim it can cause problems with
ABS systems.  Unless your Triumph has ABS, I don't think it will be a
problem for you.  But of course, YMMV.

Randall