RE: Not for purists

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Not for purists
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:16:37 -0800
> Sounds like a good solution for an irritating problem. There is only one
> thing niggling at me (and it aint originality ) isn't the fuel
> gauge fed at
> a regulated voltage something below battery voltage (nominal 12V), meaning
> there would still be some small potential difference across the warning
> lamp?

Good point Graham; that's true of the later Triumphs.  However, on the TR2/3
and I assume other Triumphs before about 1960, the fuel gauge is fed with
full ignition voltage.  It's a special (more expensive) "balanced" movement
that does not require a voltage "stabilizer" (but does require a good
ground).

To do this on a later car, you'll have to find ignition power somewhere else
besides the fuel gauge.

Randall