Re: Not for purists

To: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Not for purists
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:48:45 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net> hB30CXGx018264
Message text written by "William Davies"
>> Hi Randall
> Sounds like a good solution for an irritating problem. There is only one
> thing niggling at me (and it aint originality ) isn't the fuel gauge fed
at
> a regulated voltage something below battery voltage (nominal 12V),
meaning
> there would still be some small potential difference across the warning
> lamp?

Hi Graham,
    I'm fairly certain that the fuel and temperature gauges are fed at 10V,
but I don't have a regulator at hand to be certain. Years back I replaced
the flasher unit on our Dolomite with a solid state type. A replacement of
the original type had given the symptoms Randall describes, but the solid
state type dropped straight in and worked first time. Sorry I can't
remember the specifics, but it was nothing exotic and avoided any wiring
changes, however minor,
    Cheers,
<

Graham, Bill,
While it is true that the gauges used on the TR4 and TR6 are fed from the
voltage stabilizer (and thus the recommended wiring change would result in
some rather bizarrre behaviour of the turn signal telltale) Randall was
refering to the TR3 which uses different style gauges altogether.  These
gauges are run right off of the battery (through the ignition switch, of
course) and has a second equalizing coil to stabilize the reading.  It is
odd that S-T reverted back to this type of gauge for the TR7-8 line.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6