Re: Knockoff Hammer

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Knockoff Hammer
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:17:18 -0500
There was a long thread on shop-talk about a month ago about wire wheel
splines.

One of the more interesting points that came out of it was that over
tightening wire wheels can damage them, and that the forward motion of
the car will cause the wheels to automatically tighten themselves the
correct amount.

My only wire wheels are on parts cars, but when I get some new ones for
my TR250 I think I will make one of the wooden wrenches with long
handles and then just tighten them by hand followed by carefully driving
forward around the block a few times w/o using the brakes.

This from vtr.org

The effect of overtightening? We have seen that the wheel is held in
place between two pairs of tapers and does not touch the brake drum.
Excessive tightening of the locking cap will therefore force the wheel
centre farther onto the back taper of the hub, expanding it and thus
making ...eventually, a sloppy fit on the hub.

More info on the subject:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wire-wheels-tightening.html
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/wheels/wl102.htm

Don Malling