Rear Oil Seal Conversion & Big End Bolts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Oil Seal Conversion & Big End Bolts
From: "Larry Plott" <lplott@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:43:35 -0500
Reportedly there is a conversion kit for the rear oil seal design on the TR4
engines that doesn't leak like the matched split ring design.  I've looked for
the conversion kit in the TRF, Moss and Vicki Brit catalogs but cannot find
what I think I'm looking for.  I suppose that it is possible that I simply
missed it outright.

1.  Can anyone point me in the right direction and is this the right way to
go?

2.  Concerning the big end bolts, the existing ones had the tab plates.  I
understand that these are not be the "stretch" bolts and, therefore can be
reused.  What is the risk I am taking by using these again (only purchasing
new tab plates) versus new bolts or, purchasing the stretch locking bolts for
the connecting rods?

I'm about to send the engine components to the machine shop for boring and
balancing as well as the head rebuild anyway so this is the time to do it if
it's going to be done.  Are there any other "must do's" that are unique to
Triumphs while I am at it?  This is the first Triumph engine rebuild that I
have done.  I have very much appreciated the help of the list and the
expertise that is so evident.

Regards,

Larry Plott
lplott@triad.rr.com