RE: Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:46:32 -0800
> Just how likely is it that rear wheel cylinders for 9-inch brakes on
> post-60000 TR3As can be successfully re-sealed so that they won't
> leak?

Fairly good, I'd say.  My car was converted to 9" brakes (before I got it)
and my seals don't leak.  Can't tell you just when I replaced them last, but
it had to be at least 7-8 years ago.

> Is it necessarily a better bet to replace the entire unit?

Sure, if you don't mind the expense (and can find the same cylinders your
car has).

>  Any tips to enhance a successful replacement of the seals?

The main indicator is how smooth the bores are.  If you can shine a light in
and see the bores are smooth or a little wavy (due to wear), then seals
should be no problem.  If you can see pits, then you're more likely to have
problems.  Small pits (too small to catch a dental pick in) will probably
just reduce seal life, bigger ones are apt to leak right off the bat.

Mine are lightly pitted, even after I used a hone to take out the worst of
it, and probably should be replaced.

Randall