Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?

To: "INTERNET:MotoPsyche@aol.com" <MotoPsyche@aol.com>
Subject: Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:50:12 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i14IqP8A014462
Message text written by INTERNET:MotoPsyche@aol.com
>Just how likely is it that rear wheel cylinders for 9-inch brakes on
post-60000 TR3As can be successfully re-sealed so that they won't leak?  Is
it
necessarily a better bet to replace the entire unit?  Any tips to enhance a

successful replacement of the seals?
<

Mayby I'm just a lousy machinist but I have never rebuilt a wheel cylinder
that has lasted more than a few years.  For my money I just buy new ones
and forget it.  They don't cost that much and considering how critical they
are for safety concerns - especially on a car lacking a dual circuit
braking system.

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (new rear wheel cylinders last year)
80 TR8 (new wheel cylinders in 2000 - no problems)
71 TR6 (new wheel cylinders in 1996 - no problems)

P.S. New hoses are a good idea, too.